A possie in Aussie

March 12, 2009

Immigrants and racialising unemployment

The Pew Research Centre in the US has just published unemployment comparisons for the last quarter that show that ‘blacks’ and Hispanics are becoming unemployed at a much greater rate than the average. Immigrant Latino Unemployment Rises Sharply Pew Research Center

US Unemployment

US Unemployment

Interestingly, Asians are experiencing lower than average increases in unemployment, with an increase of 1% compared with the overall average of 2%. Hispanics and ‘blacks’ are showing an increase of nearly 3%.

(If you can navigate the ABS website to find comparable data for Australia, PLEASE post in comments!)

The Australian Retailers Association reports that 65 per cent of small businesses in the industry expect they will have to lay off workers because of the economic crisis.

Crisis, IR changes will lead to job cuts: Retailers

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: